Press releases and important news from the Awapuni Racing Club 


9 April 2020


We are officially two weeks into lock down and I thought you might like an update on what we have been doing to get us all back on course and racing again.

With things changing every day I had held off giving everyone an update until we had more clarity, but things are now looking a lot clearer.

Obviously everything hinges on us coming out of Alert Level 4 but it is equally important that we have a plan for not just your Club and your partnership but also the greater Industry.

Management staff have been actively involved in Industry working groups over the last 2 weeks to do exactly that.

NZTR (and the other codes) will start to progressively release information hopefully this week on plans going forward.

In essence though the plan is for trackwork and training to re-commence once we get to Alert Level 3.

This will involve very strict protocols around hygiene and safety but we believe we can be well placed at Alert Level 3 to do this.

On that basis we are also planning for racing to re-commence Friday 3 July.

We have split racing into three phases being “Resume” being 8 weeks from 3 July, “Rebuild” being another 8 weeks after that and then what we are calling the “New Normal”, because it will be anything but normal and it will definitely be new.

We are basing racing around horse populations to ensure costs are kept to a minimum and this also assumes some degree of travel restrictions.

As a result Awapuni is going to play a big part in the re-start and we will be looking at 4 meetings from Saturday 4 July through to Saturday 22 August.

We will then give the track a breather and re-commence Saturday 31 October. This should give us a flying start into December.

Trentham due to lack of resident horse numbers will not hold the October meeting, however should be primed to fire off for the early December Rydges Captain Cook Day and then it will be full speed ahead for the NZCIS Wellington Cup Carnival and the NZCIS Wellington Cup, JR & N Berkett Telegraph Handicap and Harcourts Thorndon Mile amongst others.

Please also remember that this coming January sees the NZCIS Wellington Cup running where it should be on the last day of the Carnival.

From a RACE perspective we have been savagely impacted as have all NZ clubs.

From now to November we have / will have lost most of our gross revenue from Racing, Catering and other income sources.

We are however being very proactive and the staff are being fantastic. Every staff member has taken a significant wage or salary reduction and I am very proud of how they are responding.

As I mentioned we are also doing our bit to help the greater Industry and when NZTR advise the “Resume / Rebuild” program I hope you will see we will come out of this positively.

There are going to be a number of initiatives to help the Industry get back on its feet including “Open Entry” Races such that we will assess the pool of horses we have available and then frame races to suit that pool not the other way around.

As I get more information, I will keep you updated.

I would just like to say thank you for your past support of the Club and hopefully in the future as well.

Stay safe and take care.